What it means to be a Muslim?
Islam means submission to the will of God (Allah) in every thing during happiness or sorrow. All the Prophets before the last messenger of Allah Prophet Mohammad (Allah blessing and peace be up on him and his family) were submitters to God. They were all Muslims including Jesus Christ, Moses, Ibraham, Joseph, Jacob, Haroon, Soliyman, Daood, Adam, Idrees, Younis, and the rest (Peace be up on them).
Before the creation of the world there was nothing but Allah (Glory to Him). He has no beginning or end and he is the only eternal one and the only absolute fact. He then created the Angles who are programmed creatures to obey Him fully and ascribe them with specific task each group and each individual. Allah then created the world and part of that world was the Mankind and the Jin. The Jin was created from the Simoom which is the hot wind while the man created from the earth. Both were created to worship Allah.
Allah describes the initial creation of the world in the Holy Quran (21:30) as follows:
Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?
Worship in Islam is not prayer, fasting of Ramadan, Hajj, Charity, and believe in the Day of Judgment only but it include all action and work in life have to be in a perfect goal for Allah. Every thing in life has to be aimed for contentedness of Allah. For example the physician work for his patients, the farmer in his work, the mother in her relationship, the children with their parents, the husband to his wife, the neighbour relationships, the kin's to each others, the scientists in his research and all others are all aiming to be in unity for moral values toward contentedness of Allah.
Islam other meaning is Peace or Safety. It is determining this peaceful relationship between the individual and every thing around him from himself or herself toward the whole world from the tiniest thing to the biggest thing. In Islam death is like a new birth to another life in which the students face their deeds. If you acted well and morally with believe in Allah and his oneness you will be in Paradise and if you acted with immorality and joined partners with Allah then it will be a bad fate in the fire Hell. This life is a short journey and death is the fate of every one. Death is the beginning of a very difficult journey towards the world of Barzkh or (time interval) in which the souls will settle until the Day of Judgment when souls return back to their bodies. For such journey every one has to prepare himself or herself.
Allah said in the Holy Quran 51:56:
I have only created Jinns and Mankind, that they may worship Me.
Allah said in the Holy Quran 39: 62 – 75:
62. Allah is the Creator of all things, and He is the Guardian and Disposer of all affairs.
63. To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth: and those who reject the Signs of Allah,- it is they who will be in loss.
64. Say: "Is it some one other than Allah that ye order me to worship, O ye ignorant ones?"
65. But it has already been revealed to thee,- as it was to those before thee,- "If thou wert to join (gods with Allah., truly fruitless will be thy work (in life), and thou wilt surely be in the ranks of those who lose (all spiritual good)".
66. Nay, but worship Allah, and be of those who give thanks.
67. No just estimate have they made of Allah, such as is due to Him: On the Day of Judgment the whole of the earth will be but His handful, and the heavens will be rolled up in His right hand: Glory to Him! High is He above the Partners they attribute to Him!
68. The Trumpet will (just) be sounded, when all that are in the heavens and on earth will swoon, except such as it will please Allah (to exempt). Then will a second one be sounded, when, behold, they will be standing and looking on!
69. And the Earth will shine with the Glory of its Lord: the Record (of Deeds) will be placed (open); the prophets and the witnesses will be brought forward and a just decision pronounced between them; and they will not be wronged (in the least).
70. And to every soul will be paid in full (the fruit) of its Deeds; and ((Allah)) knoweth best all that they do.
71. The Unbelievers will be led to Hell in crowd: until, when they arrive, there, its gates will be opened. And its keepers will say, "Did not apostles come to you from among yourselves, rehearsing to you the Signs of your Lord, and warning you of the Meeting of This Day of yours?" The answer will be: "True: but the Decree of Punishment has been proved true against the Unbelievers!"
72. (To them) will be said: "Enter ye the gates of Hell, to dwell therein: and evil is (this) Abode of the Arrogant!"
73. And those who feared their Lord will be led to the Garden in crowds: until behold, they arrive there; its gates will be opened; and its keepers will say: "Peace be upon you! well have ye done! enter ye here, to dwell therein."
74. They will say: "Praise be to Allah, Who has truly fulfilled His Promise to us, and has given us (this) land in heritage: We can dwell in the Garden as we will: how excellent a reward for those who work (righteousness)!"
75. And thou wilt see the angels surrounding the Throne (Divine) on all sides, singing Glory and Praise to their Lord. The Decision between them (at Judgment) will be in (perfect) justice, and the cry (on all sides) will be, "Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds!"
READ THE HOLY QURAN! IT IS THE ONLY BOOK WHICH WILL TELL YOU ABOUT THE PAST SINCE THERE WERE NOTHING BUT ALLAH UNTIL THE LAST MOMENT WHEN EVERY THING FINISH IN THIS WORLD AND THE EMERGENCE OF THE NEXT WORLD!
READ IT! IT IS THE MOST POSTIVE BOOK IN EARTH! IT IS THE WORDS OF GOD ALMIGHTY WITHOUT CHANGE.